In-Home Care for Diabetes Disease Management
When a senior you love has diabetes, having a trained Amada caregiver can support their efforts to manage diabetic symptoms and avoid hypoglycemia.
The compassionate caregiving team at Amada Birmingham has the training and knowledge to provide personalized long-term care services that help senior diabetic patients manage their condition. If you or a senior loved one are seeking in-home care to help manage diabetes, please contact us today for a Free Care Needs Consultation. Amada Birmingham offers home care support for senior diabetics and respite care for their families in Birmingham and its greater surrounding areas.
It’s common for families to feel overwhelmed when their senior loved ones are diagnosed with diabetes, since it is a chronic disease that may lead to many severe complications such as kidney disease, stroke, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, hypertension and others. Finding care for diabetes (particularly geriatric diabetes diagnosed in people age 65 and older) can feel like a daunting task, but Amada Birmingham is here to help seniors with diabetes and their families.
The support from an Amada caregiver trained in non-medical interventions can provide an extra level of vigilance to help seniors self-manage their diabetes symptoms and avoid a hypoglycemic crisis. Although there is no cure for diabetes, studies show that its impact can be lessened when senior diabetics follow a healthy diet and lifestyle, take their medications, and keep appointments with their primary care physician and healthcare team.
While assisting senior clients with activities of daily living (ADLs), Amada caregivers can help ensure that you or your loved ones are following the diabetes management treatment plan set forth by a healthcare provider. For the families in Pelham, Mountain Brook, Center Point, and others we serve in the Birmingham area, the well-being of our beloved seniors is always the number one priority of the Amada professional caregiving team and that includes care for seniors with both Type-1 diabetes and Type-2 diabetes.
Amada Senior Care caregivers are trained to:
- As part of in-home care, remind senior clients managing diabetes to take insulin and self-check their blood glucose level on the schedule prescribed by their doctor so they can avoid low blood sugar and a hypoglycemic crisis.
- Encourage seniors to pursue healthy physical activities such as walking, gardening and any prescribed exercise program, as well as hobbies that might ease stress.
- Inform family members if they see signs of diabetes-related cognitive decline (confusion, forgetfulness, depression) in their senior clients.
- Promote foot care by encouraging the diabetic senior client to wear closed-toe shoes or slippers with cushioned soles and to avoid sandals and going barefoot.
- Understand how important it is for the diabetic senior client to follow the meal plan created by the health care team and drink lots of water.
If you’re looking for in-home care for diabetes management assistance in Pelham, Mountain Brook, Center Point or other Birmingham communities, please call 205-208-9466 today for a Free Needs Consultation.